Happy 4 months and Happy New Year little guy! We are just wrapping up your first Christmas and I definitely tried to soak up the season with you, my last little baby. There’s just something really special about having a baby at Christmas, and I’ll miss it.
You have grown and changed a lot in the past month. For starters, you gained 2 pounds! While you are still tiny for your age (as were all Baker babies) you now have an adorable double chin and squishy thighs. The best part of this past month was last week when you started to laugh. It’s just the best, and really, so much more pleasant than your crying. And speaking of crying, why do you do that so much? You have earned the nickname Grumpy Gus, because you are the moodiest little guy. You still refuse to be put down for more than a few minutes at a time and just generally fuss a lot. To your credit though, I think your tolerance of the car has gotten a bit better- you know longer scream hysterically every time we go anywhere. So thanks for that. This week, I decided we need to figure out if your fussiness is food related, so I’ve started by eliminating dairy from my diet for breastfeeding and supplementing with a hypoallergenic formula. You don’t have any other signs of a food intolerance other than your crying, but it’s worth a shot to see if it helps.
Nolan, at 4 months, you:
– Weigh 12 pounds, 9 ounces
– Wear size 3 month clothing and size 1 diapers
– Are breastfeeding and eating formula about every 3-4 hours during the day. We had a weight check right after you turned 3 months and your doctor and I decided it would be best to supplement with formula to get you gaining a little faster. It made me sad, but I am thankful and relieved we are doing what we need to do to make sure you grow and stay healthy.
– Are not napping consistently. Your pack and play that you sleep in is in our room and I think the room is too light during the day. We may need to look into getting a blackout curtain until we move and you get your own room and crib.
– Go to bed around 5:30 pm and sleep a 7-9 hour stretch. You wake up to breastfeed, go back to sleep and are usually up for the day around 6:30 am.
– Are losing some of your gorgeous hair in the back, which makes me sad. I am also sadly losing my hair- post-partum hair loss is the worst!
– Adore your siblings, and the feeling is mututal. Charlotte always wants to know where you are and loves talking to you and saying your name (No-laaaan) and Grayson loves looking at you and patting your face and hair.
This week will mark one year since we found out you were going to join our family. We had prayed for you and were so thankful to be expecting one last little miracle to complete our family. And here you are, one year later, the cutest little 4 month old sound asleep upstairs. God is good. Happy 4 months Nolan Reid!