Surgery Update

I sure am glad today is about over. It wasn’t necessarily a bad day, just exhausting. I spent the entire day with Grayson, which I love, and rarely get to do because he goes to school 5 days a week, but wow, he wears me out. 

Grayson’s school had some flooding due to the heavy rains we had this weekend, so they were starting late. I had MOPS, and then he had a doctors appointment in the early afternoon, so it didn’t make sense to even attempt to take him. I brought him with me to MOPS, and he actually did really well, but of course needed constant attention- adjusting his headphones, putting his chew tubes in his hands, wiping drool, and pushing his wheelchair (he’s like a baby in that he always wants to keep moving when he’s in his chair). Thankfully, I had help, but I was wiped out by the time we left, and we still had a huge doctors appointment to go. 
We had about 30 minutes at home to change diapers, feed me and Charlotte, and get everything organized to leave again. My brother came over to watch Charlotte, and G and I loaded up and drove to his appointment. We had to drop off a stool sample at the lab (he’s having some GI issues we are trying to get resolved before his surgery) and then make our way to a different building for the appointment. 
This appointment was his pre-op for surgery, which is scheduled for the first week in May. Today, the doctor explained in more detail what he will be doing, and brought up some things that are still up in the air. One thing we discussed was the possibility of G not having to be casted after surgery! I am SO nervous about this cast- if he is casted in will be a full-body cast, going from his chest all the way to his toes. I’ve been reading a lot about cast care online, and how important it is to keep the cast clean. With the GI issues we’ve been dealing with the past few weeks, I am extrememly nervous about diapering and keeping the cast clean “down there”. Casting vs. not will depend on the strength of his bones and how well the doctor thinks they will heal- so he won’t know what he’s going to do until he’s operated. If he doesn’t cast, G will be in splints and have a support pillow. 
Another aspect that isn’t determined yet is if he will operate on just the hips/sockets or the pelvis as well. This will also depend on his judegment of the strength of his bones and how well he is tolerating the operation while it’s going on (the pelvis will add another few hours to the already 4 hour surgery). 
I’m feeling more confident about the decision to go through with this surgery- for the past few weeks I’ve been unsure if it is the right thing to do, but after seeing the surgeon today and the X-Ray of G’s poor little hips, I’m ready to get this thing done!
Please pray for our little guy that he can stay healthy the next few weeks so the surgery can happen as scheduled, and also for it to work out that he doesn’t have to be casted. Your thoughts and prayers are always so appreciated- thank you!
Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Surgery Update

  1. Praying daily for your sweet son. I KNOW that God is in the midst of this. Asking for healing for Grayson and for God to guide the doctors during the surgery. Praying for you and the rest of your family. Praying for peace. Trust Him Elizabeth. Lay it all at His feet and let Him carry this for you. He never, never, never fails!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s