A little over a year ago, I attended an introductory class on essential oils. I had heard the term EOs, but really had no idea what they were. I learned that EOs are natural substances from plants that have huge therapeutic and medicinal uses. While I was really interested and wanting to try them, I had a lot of life changes happening at the time (having a baby, moving…)and I put off placing an order until last fall.
I started using the DoTerra brand oils right away, and quickly became addicted to both using the oils for myself and my family and learning more about their uses.
Essential oils can be used for literally everything. You can use them to treat acute and chronic health problems, prevent illness, treat anxiety and depression, clean your house without toxic substances, and make all-natural beauty and baby products. You can even cook with essential oils.
I will admit I am still somewhat of a novice, and am still experimenting every day with my own growing collection of oils. But I have been amazed at the way they have transformed the way I think about and treat health issues in my family.
- I diffuse OnGuard protective blend in Charlotte’s room every night and rub it on her and Grayson’s feet every morning and night. It has been proven that this blend is able to kill both bacteria and viruses. While yes, she has been sick, Charlotte has never had to see a doctor or take any pharmaceutical drug for illness. If I could only have one oil, I would have OnGuard.
- I have successfully treated all of Charlotte’s fevers with peppermint oil. I believe fevers are a GOOD thing and using fever reducers just suppress the fever and don’t allow the fever to do its job. Plus, fever reducers have chemicals and cause side effects, as do all pharmaceutical medications. Peppermint oil lowers the temperature of the fever without suppressing it, and makes Charlotte more comfortable.
- I diffuse frankincense oil several times a week, and have read about it’s ability to treat seizure disorders. Grayson did not have a single seizure from the time I started diffusing the frankincense until the day a few weeks ago where he had to be hospitalized for a serious illness (which most likely lowered his seizure threshold)
- I use a single drop of lavender oil in Charlotte’s bath every night and also use a body butter with lavender on her skin at bedtime. It calms her and most of the time she has no issues falling and staying asleep. (I cringe even typing this because you know how much toddlers LOVE to make liars out of us. Sleep, sweet C, sleep)
- I put a single drop of lemon oil in a pitcher of water and it gives the water the most delicious, refreshing flavor. Lemon also has a huge list of health benefits, and you can use it for cleaning. It’s also great for drying up runny noses.
- I have several oil blends I have used to help with my stress and anxiety, as well as just to lift my general mood. They work, they really do!
I am in no way opposed to western medicine. I have deep respect for Grayson’s doctors and he is alive and functioning today because of interventions and medications. And because of his Mitochondrial Disease, I have to look at his symptoms and the way I treat them differently than I do Charlotte’s. I do, however, question where we as a society are headed (or really, where we already are) when we run to the doctor and/or the pharmacy for every single health issue, when we do have the option of treating most things naturally first.
Because I am so excited about using essential oils, I have decided I want to start teaching others about them. I love to teach, and actually miss the teaching part of my former job (the grading and paperwork, not so much). I’m still learning from more experienced teachers/experts and am so excited that I’m hosting an Introduction to Essential Oils class at my house next Thursday. The class will be taught by Nicole Vincent, who is an expert on all things oils! I am so looking forward to her presentation and learning even more.
If you are in the Houston area, I would love for you to join us. There will be no pressure to purchase any products, but there will be an opportunity to buy oils at wholesale prices. Come out, listen, and decide for yourself if this is something you’d like to try for your family. If you would like to attend, please message me on Facebook, email me, or leave a comment on this post and I will get in touch with you to give you the details.
If you aren’t local, but are interested in learning more or trying DoTerra oils for yourself, comment or email me and I can answer any questions (or find out the answer if I don’t know it) and help you place an order.